Cyberbullying has been called the bullying of the 21st century. Cyberbullies use technology, such as social media, email, and text messaging, to bully their adolescent peers. Bullying includes the use of threats, harassment, intimidation and embarrassment.

February 28, 2012

National Pink Shirt Day

Photo Retrieved from: PinkShirtDay
Will you be wearing pink tomorrow?  I know my daughter and I will be wearing our pink shirts loud and proud! 

If you haven’t heard of National Pink Shirt Day please visit PinkShirtDay.ca/about to learn more. 

Basically, a boy was bullied at school for wearing a pink shirt on the first day of 9th grade.  In response, two other students decided to provide and wear pink shirts the next day in support of this boy.  It was a huge success and the bullies backed off. 

This is just one example of how teens can support each other.  Had this incident of bullying been conducted through cyberbullying, it is unlikely the victim would have found the unsolicited help he received. 

Please wear pink tomorrow and take a stand against bullying!

9 comments:

  1. I had no clue about this.
    Good for them, pleus I love pink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyber bullying is worse than the normal playground bullying because it can be done so anonymously. The knowledge of victimization can also get distributed around exponentially quicker than in the past. Plus it being in the cyber sphere it never goes away. Anything to raise awareness is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paul, you made an excellent point regarding the anonymity, permanency and speed of cyberspace. The internet and new communication technologies are great inventions, but they have the potential to be destructive in the wrong hands. I’ve often thought; why don’t parents simply remove their kids from schools they are bullied in or move to a new city (not that running away is necessarily the right answer). But, with cyberbullies there is no escaping. Kids can continue to torment you no matter where you go and people who may not know you personally can simply preform a Google search and can have access to potentially unlimited data, good or bad.

      Delete
  3. Awesome. I've never heard of Pink Shirt Day, but I love the idea! There are no excuses for bullying of any sort and I think it's about time we show solidarity in the fight against bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of pink shirt day! That is really great. Sometimes kid's are truly amazing...it is really cool that those kids came together to stand up for their classmate - not to mention brave!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of this and I think it is a great idea to promote equality in the school system. I believe that anyone should be able to freely express their style and should not be judged by the color of his or her shirt. The kids who chose to wear their pink shirts in support are brave and strong and positive role models in the school system.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe next year students at our school can support Pink Shirt Day and promote it among students on campus.

    ReplyDelete